Executed Blog Header

Monday, March 17, 2008

Goodwin's expectation principle: A potential leader rises to the level of genuine expectancy of a leader he or she respects.

While wrapping up reading The Making of a Leader, Clinton speaks of the need for leaders that are continually developing themselves and others, and in the middle of the chapter he brings up Goodwin's expectation principle.  I was struck because while I have seen this principle in operation many times, I'm not sure that I have ever seen this principle stated so succinctly.

I am fortunate enough to have been able to watch several strong leaders during my developmental years and one of the enduring lessons was the ever present need for the leader to see with eyes of vision and faith that which the follower could not see for themselves.  Time and again, a leader who could see more in the follower then they could see in themselves, would result in that developing leader stepping into roles and giftings they never anticipated.  

Aftertall, isn't this the way God operates?  If anyone can see potential in us that we believe is not only not present, but not possible — it is God.  

I have to ask myself, how often I have failed to look at others with eyes of faith and helped them see what they could not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home